Feeling down, depressed or lacking ambition these days? You aren’t alone. This cold winter weather can make you downright sad.
According to Medical News Today, winter blues is due to the lack of sunlight that reduces the amount of serotonin we produce – which is a hormone that makes us feel happy, sort of like an endorphin.
Seasonal Affective Disorder is linked to a chemical imbalance in the brain due to shorter daytime hours and the lack of sunlight in winter. However, this shouldn’t be the end of the world for you. There are things you can do to cope:
1) Try to brighten up your room. You can use artificial lights or natural light, whatever suits your mood! Trust me, it works!
2) Boost your immune system. Take a morning walk in the park regardless of the weather. Nature will wrap itself around you, and you will reap the benefits. You will both boost your immune system and feel happier!
3) Try something new! Give yourself something to look forward to every week. Physical activities will add excitement to your life and give you something to eagerly wait for.
4) Listen to music. Not only does music soothe the soul, it is a stress reliever too. Music that leaves you feeling uplifted will motivate you to accomplish your daily goals.
5) Its common to want more sleep in the winter so have a long bath and an early night. This will make you wake up feeling more refreshed and active.
6) Try to spend as much time as possible with your friends or family. Surround yourself with people who raise your mood and make you feel better.
7) Try to keep your skin moisturized as skin dries up rapidly this season!
8) Most importantly remember spring is just around the corner!