Dr. Nashwa Foad Talks About Weight Loss

Ready for weight loss?

Beginning a diet to lose weight and improve overall health is a worthy goal ,but it can be a bit challenging sometimes. There are a lot of challenges whenever you start somethings new, especially when it involves habits that you do several times daily like eating and drinking.

Before we start, let’s agree that our goal is not only weight loss but also keeping it off!! That’s why your plan should include life style modifications along with losing the extra weight. That’s the only guarantee to keep that extra weight off .

1- Follow a healthy eating plan:

 Find a nearby clinical nutritionist to help you set your eating plan. A healthy eating plan should include foods you enjoy along with plenty of healthy -not-too-processed foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, lean meats, seafood,beans, and nuts.

2- Baby steps: 

Making small gradual changes in your eating patterns is the best way to continue your diet plan. I suggest making a list of the bad habits you need to change and start making just one change each week. This will give you time to get used to the new behaviors. Our goal is to establish new eating habits that can be sustained for a lifetime.

3- Set realistic goals:

Most people who need to lose weight set big goals, dreaming of being perfect or ideal or fitting into clothing that may not be realistic for them. I suggest that losing 10% of the body weight as a first goal can improve the overall well being, and most importantly improve health especially lower blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Always keep in mind that the recommended rate of weight loss is only 0.5-1.5 kg/week because slow and steady weight loss always wins the race. 

4- Reward, don’t Punish: 

20141009040102676_Large

Reward yourself after reaching goals. You don’t have to use food as a reward! Buying yourself a new pair of jeans for example can help you feel better about yourself. On the other hand, don’t be too hard on yourself when you fall off the wagon- everyone does, sooner or later. Anticipate that slip ups will happen, be prepared for them and when they do, just don’t look back, brush yourself off and get back on track. My suggestion to my patients is to always try to do your best 80% of the time, and relax the rules the other 20% of the time.

5- Get a support system:

Support is an essential part of a successful weight loss plan. A family member, a friend or a work buddy are all excellent options to join you in your walks, workouts or your weight loss program. These people will become a source of inspiration, support and encouragement on a regular basis and especially when things get tough.

6- Keep a food diary:

gregg-mcbride-diet-food-diary

People who lose weight typically know how important it is to document what,when and how much they eat especially nibblers .This will help keep you aware and in control.

7- Step on the scale weekly:

I suggest you visit your nutritionist once weekly to weigh yourself using the same scale and discuss your eating plan. Avoid weighing yourself everyday!

8- Be active:

Eating healthy and cutting of some calories are only half the formula for successful weight loss. Getting regular physical activity is the other half. The best time for exercise is first thing in the morning to make sure it doesn’t get squeezed out of your busy day. Check with your doctor what to eat before and after exercise if you are doing it in the morning.

If you made the decision to change your life forever , be healthy and fit, you have to know that the road ahead will have some bumps, but its rewarding. So be positive no matter what happens and you will be successful.. Good luck 🙂

It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Tweet about this on Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *