Have you ever tried so many diet regimes, yet had no results at the end of the week? Have you ever heard of the blood type diet though? Let us dive deep about that type of diet and how it may be affecting all your diet decisions…
Ready? Fasten your seatbelts 😀
The blood type diet theory was originated from the naturopath Peter J D’adamo, in his book “Eat right for your type”, D’adamo claims that there is a chemical reaction happens between the food you eat and your blood type. The reaction is caused by a factor called “Lectins” some sort of proteins found in foods, which have agglutinating properties that affect your blood.
According to D’adamo, that following diet designed based on your blood type, will help your body digest food more efficiently, lose weight and prevent some diseases.
So let’s have a quick look on the ABO blood types origins, what to eat and what to avoid for each type:
Blood Type O: (Meat Eaters)
- This type was discovered 50,000 years BC. Descended from ancestors and first people on earth where there diet were focusing on high proteins (through hunting and feeding on animals)
- Allowed Food: Red Meat, Poultry, Fish and Vegetables.
- Limited Food: Dairy, Legumes and Grains.
- Avoid in weight loss purpose: Eggs, Gluten, Wheat, Corn, Kidney beans, Havy beans, Lentils, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Mustard greens.
- Helps in Weight loss: Kelp, Seafood, Salt, Lever, Red meat, Kale, Spinach, Broccoli
Blood Type A: (Vegetarian)
- Appeared from 15,000 years BC. When man started to relocate and live in agricultural societies, and started to thrive more on plant-based food
- Allowed Food: Vegetables, Seafood, Grains, Beans, Legumes, Nuts, Rice and Fruit.
- Limited: Fish and Poultry.
- Avoid in Weight loss purpose: Red Meat, Orange, Dairy, Kidney Beans, Lima Beans, Wheat.
- Helps in weight loss: Vegetables, Vegetable oil, Soy foods, Pineapple
Blood Type B: (Balanced Omnivore)
- Appeared from 10,000 years BC. Where man left Farms and started spreading on different lands where he also started tending and rearing sheep and cattle. So there diet started to focus on Dairy and balanced between protein and vegetables.
- Allowed Food: Meat, Fish, Dairy (Low fat), Beans, Legumes, Vegetables and Fruit.
- Limited: Grains
- Avoid in Weight loss purpose: Corn, Lentil, Peanuts, Sesame, Seeds, Buckwheat, Sunflower, Tomato, Chicken and Wheat.
- Helps in weight loss: Greens, Eggs, Liver, Licorice, Tea
Blood Type AB: (Moderate)
- Appeared recently from 1,000 years only, D’adamo believes that this type has helped people to undergo to the modern era, where people with this blood type have the ability to mix between the two types A and B foods. And to have a balanced diet between Vegetables and Dairy.
- Allowed Food: Meat, Seafood, Dairy, Beans, Legumes, Grains, Vegetables, Fruits
- Avoid in Weight loss purpose: Red Meat, Chicken, Beef, Shellfish, Kidney Beans, Lima Beans, Seeds, Corn, Smoked and cured meat, Caffeine and Buckwheat.
- Helps in weight loss: Seafood, Dairy, Grains, Kelp, and Pineapple.
In all blood types, you’ll have to avoid processed food and simple carbs and that is considered the best part! 🙂
At the end this is considered a Fad diet, with no scientific or clinical evidence behind it. It’s likely that you would lose weight, though, because the diet can be very restrictive.