Try the crushed fava beans (Foul Magroush) soup, a 100% Egyptian with a healthy twist.
– ¼ Kg crushed fava beans (Foul Magroush)
– 2 Onions
– Bay leaf
– 1 Bunch celery, the white part
– Olive oil
– 2 Cups chicken or meat broth (without froth)
– Low fat cream (optional)
– Sliced Bread (Try Rich Bake Whole Grain Range)
– After washing the fava beans, cover it with water and bring it to a boil. Remove any froth that forms. Slice an onion, add to the boiling broth along with bay leaf and celery. Cover and simmer without stirring until beans are completely cooked. Strain.
– Chop the second onion and fry it in some olive oil until wilted, add to broad beans, add broth and boil for 10 minutes.
– Remove any froth that forms. Add extra broth if needed.
– Add low fat cream (optional) and the toast (squares) on top and serve hot.
Fava Beans are loaded with nutritional value without the extra calories. It will keep you warm and give you the needed boost! It is full of protein, rich in Vitamin B1, iron, copper, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium. According to HealthBenefitsTimes Vitamin B1 is very important for the central nervous system function and energy metabolism; iron is a vital element of a protein accountable for oxygen transportation within the bloodstream; as well as copper, together with iron, helps you to form red blood cells.