6 Things to know about Plant-based Diet
Bassem Youssef caused a stir, when he announced that he has been on the Plant-based Diet for the past 1 and a half years and he is as fit as anyone would wish to be!
What is Plant-Based diet?
- Plant-based diet is focused on whole, unrefined, or minimally refined plants. It’s a diet based on fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. It takes away or minimizes meat, chicken and fish included – dairy products, and eggs, in addition to highly refined foods e.g. white sugar, rice and flour, and oil. Yes, you heard it right – NO oil.
- Have a blast on Figl & Gargeer! Leafy vegetables are not all there is to eat! They consume more calories to process than they provide for energy.
- Go back to basics! this is what human race has survived on for thousands of years. Tubers e.g. potatoes and sweet potatoes; starchy vegetables e.g. corn and peas; whole grains like brown rice, millet, quinoa, and buckwheat; and legumes like chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, and foul Midames, Fireek, Ganeen ElKamh, elbiqoliat – have those in abundance as your staple diet.
- Give up Meat, Diary, Oil, Processed Food, White, bleached starch, and Eggs!
- Enjoy as much whole fruit as your heart desires! Don’t deprive yourself.
- Whole, plant-based foods contain most the essential nutrients, and in proportions that are more consistent with human needs than animal-based or processed foods.