Healthy Russian Vegetable Soup Recipe
It’s almost the end of the year! Surprise surprise, we’re all wrestling with the ritual of trying to fight the seasonal cold! As the trees shed their leaves and the days get colder, I become soup-obsessed. There’s nothing better than a hot, hearty soup to warm my stomach and my soul on a frosty winter day. And because Russians know best when it comes to winter, we bring you this tried and tested Russian Vegetable Soup Recipe that will keep you feeling warm, energized and satisfied! To all the Egyptian feeling cold and shivery, whether you have floods in Alexandria or showers in Cairo… this recipe is for you!
- 1 medium sized onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium sized potato (peeled and chopped)
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter (Try reducing the butter for a healthier intake)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs (Dill and thyme)
- 2 large glasses vegetable stock
- 2 cups cabbage (washed and sliced)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Cook the vegetables gently, stirring occasionally. (You will know the veggies are cooked when the onion goes transparent)
- Add the parsley, herbs, and vegetable stock
- Boil, reduce heat, and cover for 30 minutes
- Finely shred the cabbage and blend with soup
- leave to cool for 10 minutes